General Employment: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sarasotagov/default.cfm
Police Officer Employment: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sarasotagov/default.cfm
The Sarasota Police Department is a progressive, professional department with a sworn force of over 175 officers, dedicated to serving its citizens and many visitors who travel to our city. We utilize modern technology, state-of-the-art equipment and continuous training to achieve an effective delivery of quality police service.
Law enforcement continues to offer exciting career opportunities in light of the ever changing needs of our diverse community. To keep pace with these challenges, we are looking for qualified, career-minded men and women. Join a team of professionals dedicated to serving people. It is a career which affords the rare combination of job satisfaction, public service and a competitive salary.
To apply for employment, click here.
In order to become an officer with the Sarasota Police Department, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have earned at least an Associate degree from an accredited college or university; OR
- Earned at least 60 semester hours of college credits from an accredited college or university; OR
- Currently certified as a Florida Law Enforcement Officer in the state of Florida, having successfully completed two years of service – not counting academy attendance; OR
- Currently certified as a Law Enforcement Officer in another state, the military, or a federal law enforcement agency – meeting all requirements of a Criminal Justice Standards and Training (CJST) Equivalency of Training (EOT) review, including having successfully completed two years of employment as a full-time law enforcement officer – not counting academy attendance; OR
- Received an Honorable Discharge for active duty in one of the armed services, having successfully completed a regular enlistment of at least 3 years without early separation
- Meet the minimum age of 21
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Possess a valid driver’s license and upon employment must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license
- Be in good physical and mental health as determined by licensed physicians designated by the City
- Meet the vision requirements of 20/100 uncorrected in each eye, correctable to 20/30 in each eye
- Have no felony convictions
- Have no misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, a false statement or moral turpitude
- Military personnel must have an honorable discharge and supply form DD-214, Dd-256 or NGB22 where applicable
- Successfully complete the application, testing, and background process
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation
- As part of the application process ALL applicants must take a Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) test for Reading, Math, and Language and receive a minimum score of 10.0 in each subject. Click here for TABE information.
The following is the order of the application/testing process to become a Sarasota Police Officer:
- Complete Online Application and attach TABE test results
- Complete Comprehensive Police Application
- Application Review by Police Recruiter
- Physical Abilities Testing and Basic Swimming Assessment
- Drug Screen
- Oral Board
- Interview with Background Investigator and Captain
- Background Investigation including fingerprinting
- Conditional Letter of Hire
- Functional Baseline
The entire process can take four to nine months to complete and each step must be passed in order to move to the next step. If an applicant does not pass to go onto the next phase of testing they must wait one year from date of notification to reapply.