SARASOTA, Fla. – May 19, 2015 – 8 a.m.
The Memorial Day Parade will be held on Monday, May 25, 2015 starting at 10 a.m. at Main Street and Osprey Avenue in downtown Sarasota. There will be several tow away zones and street closure notices will be in place for the following times:
Monday, May 25, 2015 Street Closures:
• 6 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Gulfstream Avenue from Cocoanut Avenue to McAnsh Square
• 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Main Street from U.S. 301 to Gulfstream Avenue
• 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Links Avenue from Fruitville Road to Ringling Boulevard
• 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Osprey Avenue from Fruitville Road to Ringling Boulevard
Vehicles not removed by the posted time will be towed at the owner’s expense. For information on towed vehicles, please call Upman’s Towing at 941-365-7084.
The Memorial Day holiday weekend begins on Friday. The National Safety Council estimates 383 traffic fatalities and another 46,300 medically consulted injuries may happen over the traditional summer kick-off weekend from motor vehicle crashes.
The Sarasota Police Department is reminding drivers to slow down, buckle up and drive safely. Currently the Sarasota Police Department is joining law enforcement from around the country for ‘Click It or Ticket’ through May 31, 2015. In Florida, all motorists are required to wear a seat belt when riding in the front seat and passengers under the age of 18 must use proper seat restraints. When traveling this weekend, remember these safety tips:
• Reduce your speed. More speeding-related fatalities happen during the summer months than any other time of the year.
• Refrain from using cell phones or devices when driving.
• Designate a sober driver or take alternate transportation if you consume alcohol.
• Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during bad weather.