SARASOTA, FL. – November 27, 2017 – 1:15 p.m.
Multiple inquiries have been made in reference to a probable cause affidavit (PCA) regarding the disappearance of Jabez Spann. The attached PCA was not previously released by the Sarasota Police Department because of the active and ongoing criminal investigation into two separate cases: the homicide of Travis Combs on August 28, 2017 and the disappearance of Jabez Spann, 14, who has been missing since September 4, 2017.
The Sarasota Police Department continues to investigate all avenues regarding these two cases. Media outlets have asked if the two cases are connected. Both cases and their possible connections to one another remain under investigation. They are both active cases. The Sarasota Police Department is not discounting any possible connections between the two cases and continue to seek additional information and leads in both cases. Due to the active and ongoing investigation, on-camera interviews are not being granted.
“I’m hoping someone in our community knows something about both these cases. We’re asking our community to come forward with information to help us bring Jabez Spann home and bring justice to Travis Combs’ family,” said Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino. “From the beginning of both these investigations, our detectives have been working tirelessly to bring peace to both of these families,” said Chief DiPino.
A reward of $25,000 remains in place for information about the disappearance of Jabez Spann. Jabez was last seen in the area of 22nd Street, Sarasota, on September 4, 2017, wearing a turquoise shirt. Jabez is a black male, 5’09” and 120 pounds.
The FBI is contributing $19,000, FDLE is contributing $5,000 and the Sarasota Police Department is contributing $1,000 for a total of $25,000 in reward money. Anyone with information on this case is asked to call Sarasota Crime Stoppers at 941-366-TIPS or online at www.sarasotacrimestoppers.com Anyone with information can remain anonymous.