SARASOTA, FL. – May 22, 2017 – 8:30 a.m.
The Memorial Day Parade will be held on Monday, May 29, 2017 starting at 10 a.m. at Main Street and Osprey Avenue in Sarasota. There will be several tow away zones and street closure notices that will be in place for the following times:
Monday, May 29, 2017 Street Closures:
· 6 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Gulfstream Avenue closed from Cocoanut Avenue to McAnsh Sq.
· 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Main Street closed from Links Avenue to Gulfstream Avenue
· 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Links Avenue closed from 1st Street to Ringling Boulevard
· 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Osprey Avenue closed from 1st Street to Ringling Boulevard
Vehicles not removed by the posted time will be towed at the owner’s expense. For information on towed vehicles, please contact Upman’s Towing at 941-365-7084.
The Memorial Day holiday begins on Friday. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admiration, from 2010 to 2014, more than half of passenger vehicle occupants killed weren’t wearing seat belts. The Sarasota Police Department is reminding all drivers to slow down, buckle up and drive safely. In Florida, all motorists are required to wear a seat belt when riding in the front seat and passengers under the age of 18 must use proper seat restraints. When traveling, Officers ask the public to remember these safety tips:
· Reduce your speed. More speeding-related fatalities happen during the summer months than any other time of the year.
· Refrain from using cell phones or devices when driving.
· Designate a sober driver or take alternate transportation if you consume alcohol.
· Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during bad weather.