SARASOTA, FL. – August 16, 2017 – 8 a.m.
Undercover officers with the Sarasota Police Department Narcotics Unit and Street Crimes Unit have arrested Calvin Butler, 45, of Sarasota. Butler was arrested by Sarasota Police in April 2017 for charges of Trafficking in Hydromorphone, Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Sell/Deliver within 1000 feet of Gillespie Park, Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Sell/Deliver, Possession of a Controlled Substance and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Butler was also in possession of $10,370 in U.S. currency.
While out on bond for the April 2017 charges, four (4) warrants were issued for Butler’s arrest. Between July 6, 2017 and July 26, 2017, Butler conducted four (4) separate narcotics transactions with undercover Sarasota Police officers.
On August 11, 2017, undercover Sarasota Police officers located Butler inside a vehicle on Florida Avenue in Sarasota. During a search of Butler, officers located various prescription bottles with numerous controlled substances, baggies of cocaine and more than $1,800 in U.S. currency. During a search of the vehicle Butler was in, officers located two bags of hypodermic needles.
In connection to the August 11, 2017 arrest and subsequent search of Butler and his residence in Bradenton, officers located cocaine, syringes, a digital scale and numerous controlled substances.
· 21.5 grams of Cocaine (powder & rock)
· 12.8 grams of Methadone
· 10.8 grams of Oxycodone
· 5 grams of Hydromorphone
· 2.2 grams of Clonazepam
· 33 dosage units of Buprenorphine 8mg
· More than 100 syringes
Butler is charged with:
· Trafficking in Hydromorphone 4-14 grams (felony)
· Trafficking in Oxycodone 7-14 grams (felony)
· Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Sell within 1000 feet of a Park (felony)
· Possession of Methadone with Intent to Sell within 1000 feet of a School (felony)
· Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Sell (Clonazepam) (felony)
· Possession of a Controlled Substance (Buprenorphine)
· Delivery of Drug Paraphernalia (felony)
· Obstruction (misdemeanor)
Butler was arrested and transported to the Sarasota County Jail.