SARASOTA, FL – May 16, 2018 – 3 p.m.
Joshua J. Bane, 32 (date of birth 5/12/1986), of Sarasota, has been arrested and will be charged with two counts of attempted murder in connection to two of four shootings that occurred in north Sarasota between May 8, 2018 and May 13, 2018. Bane is still being interviewed by Sarasota Police Detectives and will be charged later this afternoon. (attached is a photo taken this afternoon).
On May 8, 2018, the City of Sarasota had what would be the first of four shootings over a five day period. The shootings occurred on the follow dates and locations:
· May 8, 2018 – Officers responded to the 1800 block of 23rd Street, at approximately 10:15 p.m. reference a subject who was shot while sitting in a vehicle. The injuries to the victim were non-life threatening and the victim was transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
· May 11, 2018 – Officers responded to the area of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Way and Pershing Avenue at approximately 1:40 a.m. reference a subject who was shot while standing in the area. The injuries to the victim were non-life threatening. The victim was transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
· May 11, 2018 – Officers responded to the 1500 block of 20th Street, at approximately 8 a.m., reference a subject who was shot while standing in the area. The injuries to the victim were non-life threatening. The victim was transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
· May 13, 2018 – Officers responded to the area of Palmadelia Avenue and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Way reference a subject who was shot. The injuries to the victim were life threatening. The victim was transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
The ages of the four shooting victims range from 30 years old to 60 years old. All of the victims are expected to survive.
On Monday, May 14, 2018, Sarasota Police Detectives uncovered information which led them to identify a possible suspect in two of the four shootings. Working in shifts for more than 36 hours straight, Detectives were able to piece together leads and information to determine a probable location of the suspect.
Today, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, at approximately 9 a.m., Detectives arrested Bane in the 300 block of Tuttle Avenue in Sarasota (three scene photos attached). The arrest took place without incident. A firearm and ammunition were recovered from the arrest location which will be sent for testing to determine if it was used in the shooting.
Bane is a six time convicted felon with 50 prior felony and misdemeanor criminal charges. Bane’s previous criminal charges since 2005 include:
· Aggravated assault with a deadly battery
· Carrying a concealed firearm
· Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
· High speed fleeing to elude
· Possession of a controlled substance
“Our investigations are far from over. Our Detectives will continue their inquiries into the other shootings,” said Acting Captain Scott Mayforth, Criminal Investigation Division. “Leaving no stone unturned, we are going to see if Bane is connected to them in any way or if other suspects are involved.”
“We want the criminals responsible to know that we are relentlessly pursuing every possible lead and piece of information to the fullest extent possible,” said Chief Bernadette DiPino. “If you commit these crimes in the City of Sarasota, we will find you.”
Anyone with information on these cases are asked to call the Sarasota Police Department at 941-316-1199 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers by calling 941-366-TIPS or online at www.sarasotacrimestoppers.com