PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE
SPD Retired Police Officer Firearms Qualification
Range dates are by appointment and for SPD RETIREES ONLY. Any Retired SPD Officer wanting to attend the range must set their appointment at least two business days prior to the date they wish to attend. Any questions can be directed to the Training Unit at 954-7044. Retired Officer qualifications are held at the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office firearms range at Knights Trail Park located at 3445 Rustic Road, Nokomis FL, 34275.
Retired SPD officers wishing to qualify must meet the following requirements:
A. Has retired from a law enforcement agency as a police officer in good standing, other than for reasons of mental instability.
B. Immediately prior to such retirement, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest.
C. Before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more.
D. Retired from service with the Sarasota Police Department, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by the Police Pension Board.
E. Has a non-forfeitable right to benefits under their department’s retirement plan.
F. During the most recent 12-month period, has satisfactorily completed, at the expense of the retired officer, the Sarasota Police Department’s off-duty firearms training and qualification course which utilizes the CJSTC statewide approved standard qualification course and training standards.
G. Is not under the influence of alcohol of another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
H. Is not prohibited by State or Federal law from receiving or carrying a firearm.
Firearms will not be provided by SPD. The course can be completed with either a revolver or semi-automatic handgun with the capability of holding at least 5 rounds of ammunition. Retired officers will be allowed one type of firearm per session. If the officer wants to qualify with both revolver and semi-automatic they will have to book two separate range sessions.
This course will require one mandatory reload so Retired Officers shooting semi-automatic handguns must bring at least two magazines. MAGAZINES WILL NOT BE PROVIDED.
Retired Officers must also have a suitable secure holster. The range master will determine if the holster is acceptable. The firearm must fit properly in the holster and be able to retain the weapon during movement.
HOLSTERS MUST BE WORN ON THE STRONG SIDE ONLY AND MUST AT LEAST COVER THE TRIGGER GUARD. SMALL OF THE BACK HOLSTERS, ANKLE HOLSTERS, BELLY BAND STYLE HOLSTERS, POCKETS AND POCKET HOLSTERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.
Hearing and eye protection will be made available if the retiree does not have their own.
A brimmed hat such as a baseball cap must be worn to prevent flying debris from entering the shooters eye from above the safety glasses.
.40 caliber ammunition will be provided. SPD retirees with handguns that use other calibers of ammunition must provide their own.
Course of Fire:
The course to be fired is the State of Florida's 40 round course (click to see course of fire).
1. All firearms will be brought into the range area unloaded and in a secure holster or case.
2. Firearms will be checked at the gate by a range officer prior to the retiree entering the range.
3. Firearms will be loaded and unloaded only at the direction of the range master.
4. Firearms will be carried to and from the firing line in a secure holster.
5. All waiver forms and weapons registration forms must be turned in to the range master prior to attempting the qualification.
6. Hearing and eye protection must be worn at all times during live firing.
7. A brimmed hat of some type must be worn during the qualification.
8. Retirees will be given two attempts to pass the qualification per session. If the retiree does not pass in two attempts they will be allowed to reschedule another date for two more attempts.
9. A SAFETY BRIEFING WILL BE CONDUCTED BY THE RANGE MASTER PRIOR TO THE QUALIFICATION. ANY PERSON WHO VIOLATES ANY OF THE SAFETY RULES WILL BE IMMEDIATELY ASKED TO LEAVE THE RANGE. NO HR218 CARD WILL BE ISSUED.
Prior to arrival at the range, retirees must fill out the below listed forms (click the link to access the forms).
1. Retired Officer Firearms Qualification Waiver Form
2. Retired Officer Weapon Registration Form
To schedule a range time, please contact the Sarasota Police Department Training Unit at 954-7044.