Partnership Policing Communications Coordinator (PIO)
Desk Phone: 941-954-7094
Memorial Day Parade Road Closures & Holiday Safety Reminders
The annual Memorial Day Parade will be held on Monday, May 27, 2019 beginning at 10 a.m. at Main Street and Osprey Avenue in Sarasota. There will be several tow away zones and street closure notices that will be in place for the following times on Monday, May 27, 2019:
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Gulfstream Avenue closed from Cocoanut Avenue to McAnsh Sq.
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Main Street closed from U.S. 301 to Gulfstream Avenue
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Links Avenue closed from 1st Street to Ringling Boulevard
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Osprey Avenue closed from 2nd Street to Ringling Boulevard
Vehicles not removed by the posted time will be towed at the owner’s expense. For information on towed vehicles, please contact Upman’s Towing at 941-365-7084.
The Memorial Day holiday begins on Friday, May 24, 2019. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 10,076 people who were killed in passenger vehicle crashes in 2017 weren’t buckled up. The Sarasota Police Department is reminding all drivers to slow down, buckle up and drive safely. In Florida, all motorists are required to wear a seat belt when riding in the front seat and passengers under the age of 18 must use proper seat restraints. When traveling, Sarasota Police Officers want to remind citizens to remember these safety tips:
- Reduce your speed. More speeding-related fatalities happen during the summer months than any other time of the year.
- Refrain from using cell phones or devices when driving.
- Designate a sober driver or take alternate transportation if you consume alcohol.
- Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during bad weather.