Partnership Policing Communications Coordinator (PIO)
Desk Phone: 941-954-7094
New Year’s Eve Celebration Safety Reminders & Road Closures
The men and women of the Sarasota Police Department are working to make sure our community can enjoy a safe start to the New Year. To make sure our community stays safe, Officers are encouraging people to avoid driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol and refrain from discharging weapons in the air as a way of celebrating the arrival of 2020.
The annual Pineapple Drop will be held in downtown Sarasota at Lemon Avenue and Main Street. The Sarasota Police Department is asking those planning to celebrate to please leave backpacks, coolers and alcohol at home.
Some individuals celebrate the arrival of the New Year by firing a weapon into the air. This is known as celebratory gunfire and is dangerous and illegal. “What goes up, must come down.” A bullet fired into the air is going to come down and the unintended consequences can be tragic. It is against the law to fire a weapon in the City of Sarasota; Violators can expect to be arrested.
If part of your holiday celebrations includes consuming alcoholic beverages, plan by not driving while impaired. There are safer and less expensive ways of travel: Use a designated driver, take a taxi or take advantage of the free ‘Tow to Go’ service offered through AAA. Tow to Go will be offered until 6 a.m. on Thursday, January 2, 2020. For Tow to Go in Sarasota, you can call 1-855-2-TOW-2-GO (1-855-286-9246) The Sarasota Police Department will be out and there will be no tolerance for the dangerous act of drinking and driving.
Several roads will be closed for the annual Pineapple Drop on December 31, 2019. Vehicles not removed by the posted time will be towed at the owner’s expense. For information on towed vehicles, please call Upman’s Towing at 941-365-6823.
- Lemon Avenue closed from 1st Street to Pineapple Avenue from 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 31, 2019 until 9 a.m. Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
- State Street closed from Lemon Avenue to the Public Parking Garage from 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 31, 2019 until 9 a.m. Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
- Central Avenue closed from 1st Street to the Roundabout from 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 31, 2019 until 9 a.m., Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
- Main Street closed from Orange Avenue to Five Points Roundabout from 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 31, 2019 until 9 a.m. Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
- Pineapple Avenue closed from 1st Street to the Roundabout from 8 a.m. December 29, 2019 until 9 a.m. Wednesday, January, 1, 2020.
- 1st Street closed from Pineapple Avenue to Central Avenue from 8 a.m. December 29, 2019 until 9 a.m., Wednesday, January 1, 2020.