Partnership Policing Communications Coordinator (PIO)
Desk Phone: 941-954-7094
Bradenton woman arrested & facing more than 260 charges related to prescription fraud
Kelly A. Gaffney, 49, of Bradenton, has been arrested and is facing 241 felony charges and 26 misdemeanor charges including trafficking in morphine, trafficking in oxycodone, criminal use of personal identification and possession of prescription blanks. Gaffney has been arrested after Sarasota Police Detectives learned she had been writing fraudulent prescriptions in her name and her son’s name over the course of two years.
On April 7, 2020, a pharmacist contacted the Sarasota Police Department after learning Gaffney, who was a Medical Assistant for a doctor in Bradenton, was submitting fraudulent prescriptions in Sarasota. The prescriptions were from Gaffney’s employer, but Gaffney was not an established patient with her employer.
The doctor, who Gaffney worked for, accessed her own prescribing profile from the Florida Prescription Drug Monitoring database after realizing that prescriptions may have been stolen. After reviewing the data, the doctor called Sarasota Police to report fraudulent prescriptions for controlled substances that were written and filled for Gaffney and her adult son.
Detectives were able to determine Gaffney was stealing blank prescription forms from her employer dating back to April 2018. Gaffney was obtaining prescriptions for her and her son on monthly basis since April 2018. Video surveillance was obtained from the pharmacy in Sarasota on multiple occasions showing Gaffney arriving, providing a prescription, which listed her employer as the prescribing doctor, paying for and taking possession of the fraudulently obtained controlled substances.
In two years, Gaffney was able to fraudulently obtain:
- 60mg of Morphine – 60 pills / fill x 46 = 2,760 pills / 552 grams total weight
- 30mg of Oxycodone 120 pills / fill x 43 times = 5,160 pills / 516 grams total weight
- 1mg of Lorazepam 90 pills / fill x 17 times = 1,530 pills / weight unknown
On April 13, 2020, Gaffney was arrested for multiple counts of trafficking in Oxycodone and Morphine and Obtaining a Controlled Substance by Fraud. She was arrested by undercover Sarasota Police Detectives at the pharmacy in Sarasota when she arrived to fill another fraudulent prescription. On April 28, 2020, additional charges were added. Gaffney’s total charges for this case are:
- 116 counts of Obtaining or Attempting to Obtain by Fraud
- 116 counts of Criminal Use of Personal Identification Information
- 26 counts of Possession of RX Prescription Blanks (misdemeanors)
- 3 counts of Trafficking in Morphine 4-14 grams
- 3 counts of Trafficking in Oxycodone 7-14 grams
- 3 counts of Possession of a Controlled Substance (Lorazepam)
Gaffney remains at the Sarasota County Jail being held on a $360,000 bond. A PCA, booking photo and photos of fraudulent prescriptions attached.