The City of Sarasota is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Veteran’s Preference employer. All persons regardless of race, sex, age, disability or national origin, are encouraged to apply.
General Employment: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sarasotagov/default.cfm
Police Officer Employment: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sarasotagov/default.cfm
The Sarasota Police Department is a progressive, professional department with a sworn force of 163 officers, dedicated to serving its citizens and many visitors who travel to our city. We utilize modern technology, state-of-the-art equipment and continuous training to achieve an effective delivery of quality police service.
Law enforcement continues to offer exciting career opportunities in light of the ever changing needs of our diverse community. To keep pace with these challenges, we are looking for qualified, career-minded men and women. Join a team of professionals dedicated to serving people. It is a career which affords the rare combination of job satisfaction, public service and a competitive salary.
To apply for employment, click here.
The following is the order of the application/testing process to become a Sarasota Police Officer:
- Complete Online Application
- Attach TABE test results, a copy of degree, or a copy of degree transcripts. (TABE test is waived with submission of certified transcript for those applicants with an Associates Degree or higher).
- Complete Comprehensive Police Application
- Application Review by Police Recruiter
- Physical Abilities Test
- Oral Board
- Interview with Background Investigator and Captain
- Background Investigation including fingerprinting
- Conditional Letter of Hire
- Drug Screen
The entire process can take four to nine months to complete and each step must be passed in order to move to the next step. If an applicant does not pass to go onto the next phase of testing they must wait one year from date of notification to reapply.
- May perform assigned duties alone or in the presence of a superior officer.
- Patrols assigned area in radio car; checks doors, windows and premises of unoccupied buildings or residences in order to detect suspicious conditions.
- Conducts or assists in investigations of suspicious condition, complaints or criminal activity.
- May direct traffic, make arrests, issue violation tickets, warnings, etc. in regard to traffic enforcement.
- Maintains order of crowds and attends parades, funerals and other public gatherings.
- Prepares and compiles reports and maintains police records.
- Gives information concerning the location of streets, routes and buildings; directs traffic at intersections or at emergency scenes.
- Conducts tests to determine intoxication.
- The intent of this class description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that would be required of classifications given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.
- Incumbent may be required to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this job description.
- High School Diploma or verifiable GED
- Must have minimum score of 10.0 on the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) for each subject area of Reading, Math, and Language. TABE test is waived with submission of certified transcript for those applicants with an Associates Degree or higher.
- Minimum age of 21 and must be a citizen of the United States.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License and upon employment the ability to possess and maintain a valid State of Florida Driver's License is required.
- In good physical and mental health as determined by licensed physicians designated by the City.
- Vision requirements of 20/100 uncorrected in each eye, correctable to 20/30 in each eye must be met.
- Must have no felony convictions and have no misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, a false statement or moral turpitude.
- Military personnel must have an honorable discharge and supply form DD-214, DD-256 or NGB22 where applicable.
- Must successfully complete the application, testing, and background process.
- Of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation.
Job Based Competencies
- Ability to acquire thorough knowledge of City laws and ordinance, State statutes, geography, departmental policies, regulations and procedures, first-aid methods, and the use and care of firearms, intermediate weapons, empty hand control tactics and motor vehicles.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and general public.
- Ability to learn a wide variety of police duties and methods within a reasonable training period.
- Health Insurance - You will be eligible for medical benefits starting the 1st of the month following employment date.
- Life Insurance - The City provides a basic $10,000 policy at no cost to the employee. Additional optional insurance may be purchased.
- Retirement - The City maintains separate pension plans for sworn and non-sworn employees.
- Equipment - All officers are provided with uniforms, weapons, leather gear and all other necessary equipment, including shoes. Laundry service for uniforms is provided.
- Miscellaneous Benefits
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- City Resident Incentive Pay
- Take Home Car Program
- Credit Union Eligibility
- Sick Leave